Do you want to make a new key chain next to the default incoming key chain on your Mac? You can create as many keychains as you want on the macOS system to save your password in a very easy way.
Keychain is the default Apple password management feature available on MacOS and iOS devices, allowing you to store your login information safely so you don’t have to remember all your passwords. By default, your Mac creates a key chain for you called “login”, and the password is the same as the macOS user password that you use to log in to your computer.
That being said, you are certainly not limited to using this default key chain that was made for you. In fact, you can make as many keychains as you want on your macOS machine and even use the password you want. In this article, we will discuss how to make a new key ring on Mac.
How to Make a New Keychain on a Mac
You can make a new additional key ring on your MacOS system in seconds. Just follow the steps below to get started with a few key chains.
- Click the “magnifying glass” icon located in the upper right corner of your desktop to access Spotlight search. Or, you can open Spotlight by pressing Command + Space bar.
- Next, type “Keychain” in the search field and open “Keychain Access” from the search results.
- Now, click File in the menu bar and select “New Keychain” from the dropdown menu, as shown below.
- Give a preferred name to your new key chain and click “Create”.
- Now, you will be asked to enter a password for your new key chain. After entering details, click “OK”.There is enough for that. The keychain that you just created will appear in the left Access Keychain panel right next to the default entry keychain.
Because you cannot change the password for the default login keychain, this additional keychain can be useful for people who want to have a keychain with a password that is different from the macOS user password.
That being said, if you insist on changing the password for the login key chain, you can create a new key chain and make it the default key chain on your system. After doing this, you should be able to change the password for the login key chain just by right-clicking.
If you recently reset your macOS user password after losing it or forgetting it, you will no longer be able to access the Keychain data that is stored on your Mac, because the Keychain password will no longer be synchronized with the Mac password. In such a case, all you need is to reset your default login keychain, which erases all passwords stored in the keychain, but allows you to synchronize your keychain login and password.
Do you have an iPhone or iPad too? If so, you might want to learn how to use the iCloud Keychain correctly on iOS devices. Even though it works in a slightly different way, the fundamentals remain the same. You can manually add new passwords to the Keychain and even edit existing saved passwords to make sure Keychain data is updated.
We hope you can make several key chains with different passwords on your macOS machine. What is your overall opinion about Keychain as the default password management tool for MacOS and iOS devices? Share your valuable opinions and experiences in the comments section below.