You can use Shortcuts to create new and unique app icons in Apple’s latest software update.
The release of iOS 14 is especially exciting thanks to several new additions to the iOS list. Widgets are a big new feature, allowing users to move widgets from Today View to the Home screen, much like Android, but the customization doesn’t end there. Smart iOS users have also noticed that you can change app icons in iOS 14, with some impressive results. (We’ve all seen Windows 98 themed Home screens, haven’t we?)
If adding fancy new widgets and wallpapers to your iOS 14 Home screen isn’t enough to make you itchy, here’s how to customize your app icons on iPhone on iOS 14.
How to customize app icons in iOS 14
The idea of changing your app icon is an interesting one, and it’s possible on iOS 14 and iPadOS 14, but there are some limitations that users should be aware of.
The biggest thing is that tapping the new app icon won’t open the app of your choice – not at first. Tapping any custom app icon will take you to the Apple Shortcuts app, which then automatically runs the script that opens the app. The whole process takes a few seconds, but it’s a little jarring compared to opening the usual app.
The second downside is that the dedicated app icon won’t show app notification badges, so you might miss important messages or tweets.
If you don’t mind the solution, here’s how to change your app icon in iOS 14:
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Shortcuts app.
- Tap the + icon at the top right to add a new shortcut.
- Tap Add Action.
- Look for Open Apps in the search bar and tap it to add an action to your shortcut.
- Under the Scripting element, tap Select.
- Find, and select, the application whose icon you want to customize.
- Tap the three dots on the top right.
- Tap Add to Home Screen.
- Tap the default app icon and browse for your new app icon, either in the Photos app or in Files.
- Change the name of the shortcut to the application you choose to replace.
- Tap Add at the top right.
- Name the shortcut and tap Done to save.
Return to your Home screen and you will see your new application icon, ready to use. If you want to get rid of native apps without deleting them, check out how to remove apps from the Home screen on iOS 14. And, to get more of the benefits of Apple’s latest software updates, check out the top iOS 14. Tips and tricks.